All Saints Church
Perhaps because the parish was impoverished, All Saints only received structural attention once in the 19th century, and that was to its infrastructure; it thus escaped the worst of the Victorian ‘improvements’ which robbed many medieval churches of their character.
After the death of Thomas Cooke Kemp his successor, William Brodie engaged the architect Ewen Christian in 1869 to oversee essential refurbishment. The external signs of his restoration are gutters and down pipes and he also worked on the roofs, especially of the Lady Chapel, chancel and transepts, and the spire. The three-faced clock came at this time. Internally, the box pews and gallery were removed,and were replaced by bench pews. (In the plaque commemorating the restoration work, John Christmas is named as one of the churchwardens who coordinated and presumably contributed financially to the work, which was done at the expense of parishioners.)
In the last decades of the nineteenth century, separate parishes were established in Froxfield, Steep and, in 1874, Langrish. The vicar of East Meon could now concentrate on the village of East Meon and surrounding areas: Coombe, Riplington, Bereleigh and Oxenbourne. Geographically, it was still a large parish.