For a full page of results, please double-click the magnifying glass

Magdalen College

On October 1st, 1480, William Waynflete, bishop of Winchester, made over to the president and scholars of Magdalen College Oxford ‘all the lands, tenements &c in the parish of Estmene which were formerly John Tybbenham’s to hold for the term of ten years.’ Waynflete thus completed the gift which was to help finance the college he had founded in 1458. All previous documents relating to these lands were now transferred to the college, in whose archive they remain to this day, and they provide a glimpse of the history of Oxenbourne from the early thirteenth century. What is today the farm of Hill Hampton was spelled variously in these early documents as Hullamptone, Hulhampton, Helhamptons and Halamtons.

Feb 2017 QGISb

Please click on the link to read the report.

Magdalen College’s property in Oxenbourne reduced