This shortage of labour forced the diocese to let out much of its demesne land; in the Manor of East Meon it created a new sub-manor. Bereleigh had previously been part of the tithing of Bordean but by 1369 it had been let to John de Burlee and Agatha his wife. They acknowledged their tenancy to ‘William de Wykeham, bishop of Winchester, his heirs and assigns, the following tenements which they held of him as of his bishopric: 1 messuage, 1 mill, 205 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 60 acres of pasture, 50 acres of wood, and 40s. 6d. rent in East Meon and Drayton and the rents and services of Richard Tygenore, Richard Hethere, Reginald Tygall, John Southonore, and John Knollere for the tenements which they held of them’.
The reference to Drayton and the name of Reginald Tygall indicate that the lands which were let to John de Burlee and his wife included what is now Tigwell in the north and Drayton in the south, which would remain the extent of the ‘manor’ until Park was added in the nineteenth century.
In 1390 another quitclaim was made by John de Bereleigh and Agatha his wife of a messuage and a mill [Shutts mill at Drayton], 205 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 60 acres of pasture, 50 acres of wood and mill, 205 acres of land, 10 acres of meadow, 60 acres of pasture, 50 acres of wood and £2 6d of rent in East Meon, Bereleigh and Drayton.’ The right of the bishop to these tenements was confirmed in 1382 when Clarice wife of William Fisher and sister of Agatha gave up all her claims to them.’ Bereleigh appears in the 1409/10 pipe roll as a separate manor.