Magdalen College lands in Oxenbourne
On October 1st, 1480, William Waynflete, bishop of Winchester, made over to the president and scholars of Magdalen College Oxford ‘all the lands, tenements in the parish of Estmene which were formerly John Tybbenham’s to hold for the term of ten years.’ (Fig 38) On November 8th 1481, ‘Will, bp of Winch and his co-feoffees’ signed a release ‘to the pres. & scholars of Magd. Coll. of all their right in the lands &c leased to the latter by the said feoffees’.
Waynflete thus completed the gift which was to help finance the college he had founded in 1458. All previous documents relating to these lands were now transferred to the college, in whose archive they remain to this day, and they provide a glimpse of the history of Oxenbourne from the early thirteenth century.
What is today the farm of Hill Hampton was spelled variously in these early documents as Hullamptone, Hulhampton, Helhamptons and Halamtons,and spellings continued to vary throughout the centuries It was a messuage, a farmhouse with outbuildings and land, which, unusuallyfor the time, stood alone in its own fields.
The documents reveal that relations between Bishop Waynflete and his tenants had become fractious. In August 1461, when the new King Edward IV journeyed in Hampshire, the tenants of the manor of East Meon in grete multitude and nombre petitioned the king for relief from certain services, customs and dues which the bishop and his agents were attempting to exact. The tenants had seized the bishop, who had to be rescued by the King. He arrested the ringleaders, whose case was taken to the House of Lords that December; it gave judgment for the bishop.
For a PDF on a fuller account of Magdalen lands in Oxenbourne, click here.