For a full page of results, please double-click the magnifying glass

Landowners (2)

As we have seen, in the reign of Queen Victoria, the valley was largely owned by absentee landlords who still rented their land from the Diocese of Winchester but who had purchased the rectorial tithes. Enclosure helped more successful farmers to acquire more land which they could cultivate more efficiently and take advantage of improving agricultural methods and machinery.

Two large estates were managed by their owners: Bereleigh expanded during this period to include Park Farm while  the Gage family sold Westbury House to Colonel Leroy Lewis.

Click here for Bereleigh 1840 – 1881