Inevitably, rents on most village houses were unaffordable and many were subdivided to accommodate families which huddled together in ever smaller dwellings. Barnards Corner, for instance, is today three houses and is occupied by a total of four adults and two children. In Victorian times two of the houses had been split in two. In 1851, John Smith, a turner, had a family of 9 in the half-house at the extreme right of this photo; next-door was by Henry Sloper, his son in law Jim Willis, both agricultural labourers, and his son Henry, an under-carter, and their children.
Half of what today is ‘Middle Barnards’ housed John Smith, a turner with a family of 9 while the other half housed 12 in three sections, including Eliza Norman, listed as a pauper (soldier’s wife). Only ‘Barnards’, on the left of fig 96,was a single residence, occupied by Eliza Barnard, the widowed daughter of John Nathaniel Atkins and landlady of the other two buildings. Throughout the village today, the traces of doorways can be seen revealing where houses had been similarly divided.