Buildings and estates

 

All Saints Church- one of the historic buildings of East Meon

This page lists research reports based on important village buildings, such as All Saints Church and the Institute, which have been central to the social life of East Meon over the centuries, as well as the large estates, such as Bereleigh, and farms. Farm buildings, too, trace the history of agriculture in the village.

All Saints Church. One of the most magnificent churches in Hampshire, it served a parish which reached to the Sussex border and beyond. For PDF click here.

Farm buildings. From the curia (farm HQ) at the Court House and the hall houses from which farmers went out to cultivate the open fields to the development of specialist buildings and then the arrival of mechanised farming. For PDF click here.

Oxenbourne. One of a dozen tithings within the Hundred of East Meon, it is like the others except for the fact that  most of East Meon’s  Enclosures were in Oxenbourne, and that Bishop Waynflete donated many of its lands to Magdalen College Oxford. For PDF, click here 

Bereleigh House, built in the early 1800s.

There are separate reports on individual farms and aspects of Oxenbourne, including Magdalen College PropertyHill Hampton Farm, Oxenbourne House and Lythe House Farm

Bereleigh. The nearest estate to the village of East Meon, the earliest sub-manor and in later centuries noted for its field sports. Their report is still in development. For PDF click here.

Possibly Lady Peel in a rare photo by the summerhouse in 1921.

 

Leydene Compilation. Leydene House was built in the 1920s by a remarkable couple, Robert and Lady Peel. This compilation of sources contains a number of reports on the house and the owners, followed by its history as a Naval Signals Training establishment during and after World War II. It includes a collection of photographs of the development of the site. For PDF click here.

 

The ruins of Westbury Houses after the fire of 1904

 

Westbury House As with Leydene, this is a compilation of sources relating to the mostwesterly of the large houses in East Meon; its history goes back to Saxon times, while for most of the early modern period it belonged to the Gage family of Firle Place. Later a boys’ school, it then became a nursing home and is currently unoccupied. For PDF click here.

 

 

Plaque commemorating foundation of the Institute in 1887

 

Village Institute & Village Hall. Since the Institute was built in the year of Queen Victoria’s Jubilee, it was central to the social life of East Meon. In 1973 it was sold to make way for today’s Village Hall. For PDF, click here.